How to start a blog
So, are you interested in starting a blog. Read on to learn step by step how to start your blog and all of the dos and don’ts to save you time, money and heart ache. You do not need to be a web expert, in fact even if you are a complete novice, this guide with take you through the steps and hopefully answer some of your questions along the way.
What is a blog?
A blog is really just a website that is set up and run by an individual or small group of people. It is regularly updated with new material, usually written, but can include pictures or videos (a video blog is shortened to Vlog), in an informal or conversational style.
Why start a blog?
Starting a blog can be very fulfilling. There are as many reasons why people want to start a blog as there are blogs. A few of the major reasons are:
- As an outlet to express themselves as a writer or artist;
- Establish a community for something that they are passionate about; or
- Earn extra money.
A blog is an inexpensive way to achieve those things.
The key steps to starting a blog are:
- Deciding the topic of your blog
- Selecting and getting a domain name
- Selecting and getting web hosting
- Selecting and installing a website content management system (CMS) – I recommend WordPress
- Selecting and installing a website theme
- Customizing and organizing your blog!